The William J. Battle Collection of Plaster Casts replicates some of the finest examples of Greek and Roman sculpture and architectural elements, the originals of which date from the 6th century B.C. to the 3rd century A.D. The casts were purchased with funds from the University's Department of Classical Languages between 1894 and 1923 at the behest of the late Dr. Battle, a longtime classics professor, who served as president ad interim from 1914 to 1916. The majority of the works were cast in the late 19th century by August Gerber in Cologne , Germany, and the Caproni Brothers in Boston. In the late 1970's, after more than 25 years in storage, the collection underwent extensive restoration made possible with discretionary funds provided by the President's Associates. This collection is considered one of the most representative of casts of classical Greek and Roman sculpture in the United States and is thought to be in the best state of preservation of any such collection.
Click any image below to begin browsing through the collection.